Friday, September 16, 2011

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies


Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from John Barricelli's Sono Baking Company Cookbook




I just bought this cookbook -was on clearance at Borders, since it was closing :(
The pictures looks gorgeous, and this is the first recipe that I've made from it.

Link to his book:
http://www.amazon.com/SoNo-Baking-Company-Cookbook-Occasion/dp/0307449459



 So, the problems I had with this recipe were that it was REALLY oily, the dough was too liquidy, like brownie batter, and it's a touch too salty.

Ingredients:


First, I mixed the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl


Then, in a double boiler, I heated my chocolate chunks and chips with butter

Until melted...



Now here's where I didn't pay close enough attention. I was supposed to take it off the heat, but I kept it on the heat. I don't know how much this contributed to the "liquidiness" of my batter.

Anyway, I added my brown sugar...
Then I added my first egg. When I saw the white get slightly cooked, I pulled it off the heat and saw my mistake of keeping it on the heat - OOPS!

So now the pot sits on the counter and the rest of the eggs get added. As well as my vanilla (which is of the powdered variety)...


I added the 1 cup of flour as ordered per the recipe and as you can see...

... very much like brownie batter, not like cookie dough (very tasty, though, if I do say so myself...)


So I decided to go ahead and add another 1/3 cup of flour....

... and then another 1/4 cup of flour until it seemed to form into a thick dough.


I added chocolate chips - BUT the batter was TOO hot, and all of these melted :(. I also decided to throw in some pecan chips at the last second, because I loooove the crunchiness.

I made smaller cookies than the recipe stated, (maybe about 2 tbsp of batter per cookie) and baked them for 5 minutes at 350, turned the pan, then baked for another 4 minutes. These burn VERY easily.

You have to let it sit on the pan for at least 5 minutes before removing, because these cookies are very soft. They are REALLY TASTY, I do have to admit. REALLY, REALLY chocolatey, too :)



So, things that  I did wrong:
- not taking the chocolate off the heat soon enough
- I burned the first batch

Things that I would like to change
- How oily this dough is - maybe add less butter?
- It's a little saltier than I'd like
- the dough is too warm to add the chips in right away, maybe give it 20 minutes to cool down?
- the dough was too wet at first, until I added more flour. Why is it this wet? Is that normal?!?
- I added pecans, which were a good addition. 





No comments:

Post a Comment